|ShakesQueer: A Staged Reading|
- Around the Triangle
- Event status:
- Event date:
- Saturday, July 27, 2019 7pm - 8:30pm
- Imurj, 300 S McDowell St, Raleigh, NC 27601
- Event Contact:
- Dustin Britt
- Contact E-mail:
- TIMING: Doors are at 6:30 - performance is approximately 90 minutes with no intermission
- COST: Suggested $15 donation (at the door; cash or card)
- CONTENT: Recommended for ages 10+. Mild sexual innuendo
- SENSORY: shouting, active performance environment.
- NOTE: The Imurj bar/cafe will be open before, during, and after the performance. By law, Imurj charges a $1 annual membership fee for all attendees, which is paid at the door. This is separate from Bare Theatre's suggested donation of $15 to support the theatre company.
Bare Theatre celebrates Pride with its all new ShakesQueer! Bare and the Bard will prove that PRIDE doesn't end in June!
ShakesQueer is a remix of some of the Bard's most dynamic and exciting texts. We explore the queer undertones, overtones, and semitones of his best-known and lesser-known plays. The cross-gender shenanigans of As You Like It and the more-than-slightly homoerotic Sonnet 20 are obvious places to start. But what happens if Romeo is a woman, if a love potion hits the wrong fella, or if all of the Bard's characters meet to discuss the nature of love, gender, and trousers? And what would Henry VIII have to say about such debauchery?
The evening features an exclusive sonnet-inspired live performance by local queer singer-songwriter Al Riggs.
This tragicomic one-act staged reading serves as a fundraiser for Bare Theatre's 2019-2020 season, the proceeds of which will help to cover ticket costs for patrons next season, reducing ticket prices across the board--making Bare shows more accessible than ever before! The show is non-ticketed, but there is a suggested donation of $15. This one-time event will also include the Bare Theatre 2019-2020 Season Announcement!
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: @BareTheatre