Books in the Library
Since the Library opened in October 2011, the collection has over 5,000 volumes focused on and celebrating LGBT life. The Library’s collection development priorities are aimed at supporting the resource and information needs of the Center’s vital outreach programs such as SAGE Central North Carolina, Youth Coffeehouse, Affirming Faith Forum, and Transgender Initiative. The Library is also a welcoming place for family members and allies of LGBT people.
The Library is the Winner of the 2018 American Library Association "Carnegie-Whitney Grant" which will be used to develop a series of reading lists entitled "Let Our Voices Be Heard." In 2014, the Library won the American Library Association “Light the Way Grant.”
Library Card Registration
Disc Club Membership for Borrowing DVDs and CDs
Search our Online Catalog
- You can see items in our collection on LibraryThing. Click here.
Online Wishlists & Donations
- The LGBT Center depends on your generous donations to expand our growing collection of books, DVDs, and CDs. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and all donations are tax-deductible.
- Click Here to donate money directly to the Library
- Click Here to see the Wishlist of books
Contact the Library
- Smote, Head Librarian
Library Core Crew
- Brittany Burchette: Assistant Librarian, Cataloging Leader
We thank these individuals for their pioneering work in the local and national library scene and for their continued assistance at the library!
- Erin Iannacchione, MLS, LGBT Center Librarian Advisor and Library Founder; founding member of the LGBT Center of Raleigh's Board of Trustees
- Kent Parks, MLIS, research programmer/analyst at RTI International
- Megan Roberts, MLS, Youth Services Librarian, Cameron Village Regional Library; Program Director, LGBT Center Family Story Time
- Rev. J Zirbel, Ministry of Love and Justice, Rainbow Community Cares, Inc.; Out! Raleigh Clergy; LGBT Center Affirming Faith Forum Facilitator, and Gender Affirming Book Club Program Manager
- Rochelle Richardson, MLIS, Information Professional and Past President of the San Francisco Bay Chapter of the Special Libraries Association
The LGBT Center of Raleigh extends its appreciation to the following individuals and organizations for providing extraordinary generosity of resources to the Library:We thank these individuals for their pioneering work in the local and national library scene and for their continued assistance at the library!
- C. Richard Becker, New York City
- William Chicurel, Chapel Hill, NC
- Roland Hansen, Head of Access Services, Columbia College Chicago Library
- Justine Hollingshead, former Director, NC State University GLBT Center
- Ann Keefe, Raleigh, NC
- A. Norman Sturdivant, Fayetteville, NC
- Anna Watson, former Director of Free Books of Boston
- Gerber-Hart Library and Archives, Chicago
- Lambda Literary Foundation, New York City
- Anonymous Donor, San Francisco, CA