The Transgender Initiative is built around the idea of creating a communal, safe place for people from all across the gender spectrum, along with their allies, to meet, gather, and provide a supportive and welcoming social environment.
Our mission is to help build community with self-identified or perceived transgender, gender variant, or gender non-conforming individuals and trans-positive organizations in the greater NC Triangle region.
We move into facilitation and actualization of our thriving co-created community by nourishing and expanding support, education, activism, awareness, the arts, advocacy, wellness, health, resource creation, empowerment, visibility, acceptance, and self-determination for all transgender, gender variant, and gender non-conforming people.
For Families, Friends and Allies:
SoFFA is an off shoot of the Transgender Initiative to create a peer support and social network for Significant others, Friends, Family and Allies of people in transition or questioning whether transition is appropriate, as well as gender fluid or gender queer individuals. We extend our communal safe space to address the special needs, concerns, and questions those with gender non-conforming loved ones face.
- Changing Your Name (Wake County)
- Local Resources (doctors, business, etc. in and around the triangle)
- Internet Resources (you tube, websites, etc. that are just great)
- Transgender in the Media (movies, books, musicians by and for gender non-conforming)
- LGBT Center Mental Health Resources (master list of LGBT friendly mental health providers)
- Trans in the South • Campaign for Southern Equality • Website • In the pages of this edition of Trans in the South you'll find lists of trans-friendly service providers – from doctors to attorneys to counselors – across the South as well as resources to assist with funding medical transition.
- Trans in the South: Funding Your Transition Resource Guide • Download the Guide (PDF File)
Gender Support Group
Second Monday • 8pm
An open and welcoming environment for all people of the gender spectrum, including anyone who is unsure of or is questioning their gender. Support group meetings are held in the LGBT Center of Raleigh on the second Monday of the month at 8 pm. All transgender, gender variant, and gender non-conforming people are invited. As this is a closed support group wherein people discuss deeply personal issues, we ask that people who do not identify as transgender not attend unless they are coming as support for someone already in attendance or for the sake of discussing their own lived issues with gender.
Gender Social Club
Fourth Monday • 8pm
An open and welcoming environment for all people of the gender spectrum as well as friends, allies, and significant others. Game night, book club, movie night. It can be whatever you want! Take some time to meet others in the community in a welcoming environment. The social starts at 8 pm.